National health service

In questa pagina

What to do in case you need a doctor

Italy’s public health system is called Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN), distributed through the territory in Aziende Unità Sanitarie Locali (AUSL). In order to receive the cures that you might need you have to bring your European Health Insurance (EHIC). 

Registration to the SSN (national health service)

Those who are registered to SSN have the same rights and duties of Italian citizens including the co-payment of fees for the services provided (ticket). The contribution varies according to the financial situation of the applicant. In some cases (e.g. students) applicants pay a flat fee.

How to register as a student

International students, both from within and outside the EU, who are enrolled at the University have the right to voluntary enrollment to the Italian healthcare system for the duration of their course of study.

The registration will entitle the student to be enrolled in the regional health service system, to choose a General Practitioner and to receive the same healthcare services as any Italian citizen.


Registration lasts one calendar year, therefore it expires on the 31st of December of each year, and it has a flat rate cost of €700.00 (to be carried out via F24 form, tax code 8846, region code 17, reference year ____).

NB. The sum specified above does not cover dependent family members if they have no income in Italy or abroad (a scholarship or any subsidies provided by Italian public authorities do not count as income. If the student has any income in addition to their scholarship, the sum to be paid is the one required by their specific residency permit).


For non-EU citizens, a residency permit for "study" reasons is required in order to apply. If the residency permit expires before December 31st, the registration to the healthcare system will be closed; it will be reopened upon submission of a renewal application, without any additional cost.


International students who wish to benefit from medical assistance need to register voluntarily by delivering the required documentation to one of the "Sportelli dell’Anagrafe Sanitaria" (healthcare register offices).


Documentation required for EU students:

identity document and fiscal code

self-certification of school attended

certification of voluntary contribution payment

statistical sheet , referred to in art. 10 of the 8 October 1986 Ministerial Decree 


Documentation required for non-EU students:

passport with visa

valid residency permit for "study" reasons

fiscal code

certification of voluntary contribution payment

statistical sheet , referred to in art. 10 of the 8 October 1986 Ministerial Decree


For more information please refer to the local health offices in your area of residency and visit Azienda USL Toscana Centro website (in Italian only). Further info on health system assistance for foreigners on Azianda USL Toscana Centro (external link - in Italian only).

The main hospital in Florence is Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria AOU Careggi, situated in Largo Brambilla, 3 - Firenze. For more information visit the website.
There is a desk dedicated to foreign citizens: Foreigners’ Hospitalisation Office  / Ufficio Spedalità Stranieri



There is a desk dedicated to foreign citizens:

Foreigners’ Hospitalisation Office / Ufficio Spedalità Stranieri

Pavilion 2 NIC (Main Entrance)

ph: +39 055 794 9888 / 055 794 7057

Monday to Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.


Visa and residence permit for non-EU citizens

If you are a non-EU citizen and wish to study in Italy for more than 90 days, you will need a Visa to enter Italy. 

If you stay for less than 90 days, find out from the Embassy (or Consulate) if you require a Visa. You must apply for the Visa from the Italian Embassy in your country of residence, providing the letter of acceptance from the University of Florence. Important: you must apply for a Visa for study purposes.

You must apply well in advance for the Visa, as the visa issuing procedure can take several months.

Important: when you apply for the Visa, have your medical insurance stamped by the Embassy, otherwise you will not be able to use it to apply for the Residence Permit.

If your exchange lasts for more than 90 days, when you arrive in Italy you must apply for a Residence Permit. This is a compulsory procedure for all non-EU citizens wishing to stay in Italy for more than 90 days.

Leisure activities

If you wish to practice some sports, the University of Florence has an affiliated Sprots Centre called CUS (Centro Universitario Sportivo) that allows students to attend a wide variety of courses. Please referto their website for registration info.

Our institution offers even other activities, such as being part of the University Choir or the University Orchestra, or alternatively the University’s Acting Company (Binario di Scambio).

For further information regarding these activities, you can check the corresponding webpage at the following link:

Ultimo aggiornamento



I cookie di questo sito servono al suo corretto funzionamento e non raccolgono alcuna tua informazione personale. Se navighi su di esso accetti la loro presenza.  Maggiori informazioni